AIGA Toledo, the local chapter of AIGA (a professional organization for design) is leading the Design Week efforts. I suggested a range of possibilities for the design week concept starting in January. It is great to see it become reality!
- Design for Good is the theme for 3 events from September 21-28, 2015.
- Many AIGA chapters do a Design Week each year to “to celebrate design in their local communities.”
Call to Action, 9/21
Two speakers lead off the “Call to Action” event, Monday, September 21, 6:30pm, at Owens Community College‘s Center for Fine and Performing Arts.
- Dan Klyn is an information architecture (IA) thought leader and co-founder of The Understanding Group. He presents around the world on various digital and built-environment architecture concepts/practices and teaches IA at the University of Michigan. He recently did at talk at TEDxMacatawa. Dan will makes us think about What Good Means.
- (Update) Kate Hunt is a design strategist and principal at She Does Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan. As Director of Design for Good West Michigan, Kate localized AIGA’s national Design for Good movement in the form of Weekend Blitzes, Design Briefs, and other activities. Igniting a local design community with Design for Good will be her topic.
Also, if you want to hang out with Dan before his talk, you can attend Coworking with Dan Klyn at Seed at 4:30pm on 9/21.
Design Briefs, 9/24
Design Briefs is the second event, Thursday, September 24, 6:30pm, at the Toledo Museum of Art‘s GlasSalon.
- Three local business owners or aspiring entrepreneurs present their story along with a specific business challenge.
- A panel of design and business professionals will offer their feedback and advice.
- Attendees will then participate in “design thinking” breakout sessions for each of the 3 challenges.
The goal of Design Briefs is to enable our community of great minds to engage in strategic problem solving to help local entrepreneurs transform their businesses through design activities. Attendees will have fun and may even take some of these design thinking lessons back to help address their own challenges.
Doug Powell, 9/28
Doug Powell is speaking at BGSU on Monday, September 28 at 6:30pm for the final segment of Design Week.
- Doug Powell is a leader at IBM Design and past national president of AIGA. He recently wrote about The Business of Social Design.
- He will be talking about Design at Scale, how design is transforming a 100-year-old company, and how the role of a designer is changing (in technology, business and society). Other recent talks about design-at-scale at IBM include Design at Scale by Adilson Chicoria and Delightful Experiences at Scale by Pierre Henri Clouin.
Whew! This is going to be a spectacular week! Stay tuned for more information. I will make updates.
Update (September 7)
- AIGA Toledo’s page about Design Week explains the theme and each of the 3 events
- RSVP at toledodesignweek2015.eventbrite.com for 1, 2 or all 3 of the events: all events are FREE
- Share Facebook events and invite your colleagues to let them know about it
- Tweet with #ToledoDesignWeek to also help spread the word about this great series of events