Here is the text of my 2nd newsletter.
Conferences coming up
Midwest UX, The Disney Way, uHeart Digital Media, TEDxToledo, IVLA
September, October and November are conference season, it seems!
Midwest UX, the user experience conference created for us in the midwest to be affordable and approachable, is October 23-25 in Indianapolis. It is time to register, book your hotel, and arrange the carpool from Toledo.
- Read over the program. Check out the pre-conference workshops, too, to go deep on a specific topic.
- Register: only $350 for the main conference, workshops extra.
- Check out the conference venues and book a room at the conference hotel. You can try to win a free hotel stay first.
- Contact me if you want to find a roommate or if you want to carpool with others coming from Toledo.
By the way, Toledo is 1 of 4 regional partners of the conference, along with Chicago, Bloomington and Milwaukee. I am helping promote MWUX (like this huge section of the newsletter!).
Ignite UX Michigan
Ignite UX Michigan is an event closer to home (Ann Arbor, October 21st) and still accepting submissions: deadline is September 25th.
It is an evening of 5 minute talks (where each slide advances automatically) on a range of user experience related topics, held at a bar. It is a lot of fun if you are presenting or if you are just watching.
The Disney Way
The Monroe County Chamber of Commerce is hosting a half-day Business Summit about “The Disney Way” on September 26th. The keynote speaker will be talking about the cultures of Disney and Pixar and how a focus on experience design is transforming businesses of all sizes.
Two local conferences
There are two local conferences coming up that may be of interest.
- The uHeart Digital Media conference (October 9-10) is in its 2nd year, with speakers on digital marketing and social engagement. It features a beginner and an advanced track. Designers with an entrepreneurial spirit will not want to miss the next Pitch and Pour in conjunction with the conference.
- September 18th is the 3rd TEDxToledo. The speakers will be exploring the many dynamics of the human experience.
The Toledo Museum of Art continues to be a great place for user experience practitioners to hang out.
- The Art of Video Games exhibit, showing the evolution of video game console experiences, continues until September 28th.
- Brett Leonard, film and video director, will talk about digital technology and creativity on September 25th as part of the Masters Series.
- The Museum is hosting the International Visual Literacy Association conference, November 5-8. Mike Osswald (of Hanson, Inc.) and I are hosting a session on “Visual literacy in a business context.” Other interesting topics: data visualization, photography, Dewey. And visual literacy in educational settings.
AIGA Toledo’s annual poster show is September 20th.
Regular get-togethers to put on your calendar:
- Toledo Web Professionals meet-ups, including something for World Usability Day on November 13th.
- For people interested in the design of physical spaces, BGSU architecture students have an interesting lecture series (PDF).
- 4th Annual TechToledo GeekDinner HolidayMixer, December 11th.
- Seed Coworking will be hosting something worth attending, that is a given.