What is happening related to user experience in the Toledo region and within road-trip distance in August.
In the region
- August 3: AIGA Toledo‘s Ice Cream & Beer Social (Facebook). Family event, hang out with designers and other creatives.
- August 14: Toledo Web Professionals (Meetup).
- August 22: StartUp Toledo‘s Idea BBQ (Facebook) with Jeremy Caverly, Product Manager and UXer with Quicken Loans.
- August 1: Plymouth Happy Hour (Meetup), Detroit Women of Design & UX.
- August 2: UX Chat ‘N Pancakes, IxDA Columbus.
- August 7: Art of Decision Making (Meetup), Dayton Web Developers.
- August 15: Gathering Insights, IxDA Cincinnati.
- August 15: Ann Arbor UX Happy Hour (Facebook).
- August 16-18: Weapons of Mass Creation Fest, Cleveland.
- August 21: UX Happy Hour, IxDA Columbus.
- August 21-24: IDSA International Conference, Chicago.
- August 22: Lean UX Research (Meetup), Refresh Detroit
- August 27: User Enjoyment (Meetup), Cincinnati. It’s Not Rocket Surgery (A DIY Workshop On Finding & Fixing Usability Problems).
- August 28: A Purposeful, Practical Form of Empathy, UXPA Cleveland.
- August 30: IxDA Cleveland Breakfast. (added 8/26)
There are some big local events in September to plan ahead for.
- September 9: AIGA Toledo’s Rock, Paper, Sizzle and Pixels of Fury. Social event, fundraiser, album art show and design tournament, all rolled into one.
- September 12: Rosenfeld Virtual Conference: Mobile UX Summit. Tentative: only if someone else (not me) is willing to host it and deal with the logistics.
- September 19: TEDxToledo. The 2nd edition of TEDxToledo features local thought leaders and doers for an all-day conference that should inspire UXers and everyone else.
- September 20-22: Startup Weekend Toledo. The 2nd edition of this business design extravaganza needs UI and other designers to participate on teams as they go from idea to business model to prototype to pitch in 1 intense weekend.
Farther out (in time and in place), here are some more events that you should be considering:
- September 25-27: WebVisions Chicago. Includes many great UX topics and speakers.
- September 30 – October 5: Cincinnati Design Week. Collection of evening talks, TEDx conference, crawls and parties.
- October 17-19: Midwest UX in Grand Rapids, MI. It is a top-notch UX conference you do not need to fly to.
- October 24: Ignite UX in Ann Arbor. A fun night of short talks about UX. Submit your topic by September 12th!
- November 14: Local World Usability Day event. Host, location, other details TBD, but save the date. We will likely have it in the evening so you can also go to the EPIC Toledo Summit.