The back-to-school-special email newsletter was sent out today.
Some of the upcoming UX educational opportunities listed:
- Lean UX workshop on journey and experience mapping, 8/25
- Ignite UX road trip to Ann Arbor, 9/15
- AIGA Toledo Design Week (3 events), 9/21-28
- Midwest UX conference in Pittsburgh, 10/1-3
- Startup Weekend Toledo, 10/2-4
- Cooper courses in Columbus, 11/2-5
- Creativity & Innovation Summit, 11/10
- World Usability Day, 11/12
Check out the Back-to-UX-School newsletter for details.
The summer edition of the email newsletter was sent out earlier this week.
What is in it:
- IT analyst (User Experience) job at First Solar
- Lean UX meet-up, Family Picnic and other summer events
- Professional development courses in Dayton and Columbus
- Visual Language Workshop for UXers
- Fall events to save the date for
See the Summer Newsletter for more details and links to more information.
The new Lean UX meet-up group has its first get-together on Tuesday, June 23rd. If you are interested in user experience, this will be your chance to hang out with UXers more often (I have not been able to commit to organize monthly events). Plus, you can learn about the application of UX to rapid prototyping and validation, and other Lean UX concepts.
The first meeting will be a workshop on UX Foundations of Lean and Agile. From the description:
- This free workshop (including food and drinks) is a UX primer for those new to the concepts, or anyone who wants to practice their existing UX skills (or come just to show off your UX talent!).
- We’ll cover the concepts of Persona Design, Experience Mapping, Minimum Viable Products (MVP), Prototyping, Running Experiments and how to take these concepts through the development cycle, among other things.
- Attendees will split up into groups of 3-5 when engaging in the workshop, in order to embrace the collaborative spirit of UX and the practice of its principles.
RSVP at meet-up.com so we know how many people to expect. Drop-ins also welcome, if you want to see what it is about before you commit. Spread the word to others who may be interested.
Be at Seed Coworking at 6pm on 6/23 to enjoy some pizza and network! Then stay for the workshop and start practicing lean UX with us. We will wrap up around 8pm, or a bit later if you want.
I will be there as a participant, just like you. Scott Showalter is leading the meet-up and will be running the workshop. Join us and help kick off the next milestone for the User Experience community in the Toledo Region.
People Skills for UX: 3rd User Experience Toledo Region Conference
Thanks to all of the sponsors, supporters and attendees of the People Skills for UX conference on May 27th.
If you attended, you will get an email via
Eventbrite MailChimp in a few days with information on how to watch the replays and other follow-up details such as offers from global sponsors. You can fill out a survey to let us know your opinion of the local conference. One respondent will win a digital set of Rosenfeld Media books.
If you missed the conference, you can see some of what was covered on our local Twitter stream.
The 3rd User Experience Toledo Region conference is Wednesday of this week, May 27th. If you are attending, here are some things to help you get ready (this was also emailed to attendees via Eventbrite, but repeating here just in case).
1. Make sure you know how to get to the conference location, the Nitschke Technology Commercialization Complex at the University of Toledo. The address is 1510 North Westwood Ave, Toledo, Ohio 43606. You can come in from the north: from Bancroft, turn south on North Westwood. Or you can come in from the south: the building is at the corner of Door and Douglas.
Individual tickets for the 3rd Toledo Region User Experience conference go on sale this morning.
- 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 27 at LaunchPad Incubation at the University of Toledo.
- Theme is People Skills for UX: Negotiation, Facilitation, Listening, and Leadership.
- Cost: $30, includes breakfast, lunch, and LaunchPad Incubation collaboration spaces for the day.
To learn more about the conference format, topics, speakers and schedule: user-experience.org/peopleskills2015
To buy tickets: uxtr-peopleskills.eventbrite.com
We are still looking for more sponsors.
People Skills for UX, May 27
Toledo showing of Rosenfeld Media speakers
Another all-day UX conference for the Toledo region is ON for Wednesday May 27th!
Experts from outside the design world will be paired with UX leaders on the topics of listening, facilitation, negotiation, and leadership.
Learn more about the Rosenfeld Media virtual conference speakers, but do not register there. Instead, check out our Call for Sponsors for our local conference. Starting today, companies and organizations can sponsor our local conference for $100, giving them access to purchase tickets now. Tickets for individuals will not go on sale for two more weeks.
Our hosts will be LaunchPad Incubation at the University of Toledo. See the Call for Sponsors for the list of sponsor benefits, a tentative schedule, options for paying, and other details.
People Skills for UX, May 27th
The next Rosenfeld Media virtual conference has just been announced for May 27th! The theme is “People Skills for UX” with sessions on four critical soft skills: listening, facilitation, negotiation and leadership.
Check out the details and start thinking about if you want to attend and/or your company wants to sponsor an all day local conference to watch these talks together. These topics may be interesting to a wide range of people at your company, such as project managers, business analysts, HR, and executives.
I would love your thoughts about how to organize this event (How much food? Where to have it?), if you are interested in attending, and if your company may want to sponsor it. Please fill out the planning survey!
Design at the Googz, March 12
On Thursday, March 12 at 6pm, the Toledo Web Professionals present Design at the Googz at Seed Coworking. Rita DeRaedt will talk about her experience as an intern on a Google User Experience team. Continue reading